Markforged Material – D2 Tool Steel for the Metal X System
D2 tool steel offers high hardness and compressive strength as it can be heat treated. While Markforged 3D Printing recommends heat-treating D2 tool steel to optimize it, it can be used as-is.
What is D2 Tool Steel?
D2 is a commonly used high compression wear resistant tool steel for cold-working applications:
- High compressive strength (Higher than A2)
- Corrosion resistance (Has added chromium)
- Sharp edges (Perfect for industrial cutting applications)
- High hardness (60 HRC)
Who will use D2 Tool Steel?
The following industries often need parts that have an edge and stand up to wear:
- Sheet metal fabricators for bending, stamping, forming
- Manufacturers and assemblers for internal tooling and fixture
- Large machine shops for internal tooling purposes
When to print with D2 Tool Steel?
- Cutting and forming tools for metal fabrication
- Adding wear resistance to tools, jigs, and fixtures